photo aztec-mess_zps0a762b67.png

Wednesday 12 February 2014

Hair Myths 101: Silicones


Hey y'all! I've decided to create a new series on my blog dedicated to haircare, mainly because there are so many inaccurate things being told on the internet, whether it be by bloggers or youtubers, and I just felt the need to put this to an end. I am here to set things straight and get the scientific facts out!

There’s this trend currently going round, especially in Europe, where silicones are being labled as “bad for your hair”.Words cannot explain how sick and tired I am of hearing such nonsense. So let me just make it clear - right here, right now: this.is.not.TRUE.

If you were to say, silicones do not nourish or hydrate your hair, then I would say: you are correct. Now before you run away from this post thinking this is all gobbledygook, please stop and listen. Yes, they don’t nourish your hair, BUT they do prevent damage to your hair. Now hear me out.

What is the number one cause of knots and tangles? The answer is hair rubbing against each other. If your hair is not silky soft and has no slip to it, it will easily knot up into a cat-like fur ball, and trust me, it ain’t pretty. And when you try to untangle your knots, you end up usually breaking the hair. Silicones coat the individual hairs so that they will be able to easily slip past each other and not tangle up. This will in the long run reduce breakage and split ends significantly. Silicones also drastically reduce frizz - who doesn't love that? 

Now to those who say, "silicones smother your hair and don't let your hair absorb moisture". Ok, first of all, hair doesn't BREATH. It's hair, not lungs. And second, yes silicones don't moisturize your hair and therefore doesn't help absorb moisture, BUT they do keep moisture IN. Meaning, your hair won't lose moisture as quickly as it would without silicones. And if you're worried about buildup, just use a clarifying shampoo every now and then and you'll be good to go. 

Hair oils (proper ones) inject moisture into your hair and conditioners (aka silicones) keep that moisture in and prevent hair from rubbing against each other and ending up in painful tangles.

Sorry for the rant folks, but it had to be done. Please spread the word and share this post, and we shall educate the world together about proper haircare :). Next week, I shall be covering hair oils, so be ready to be mind-blown! If you wish to read more on this particular issue, or just do some general research on haircare, check out this blog (link here), it's written by a female scientist who examines hair with scientific experiments and uses a microscope and everything.

I wish you all a lovely week and, of course, beautiful healthy locks! :) 

1 comments:

  1. Hello! Thanks for writing this post. I finally found someone who isn't scared of pointing out how things actually work. My question is: do you think there's a reason why my hair doesn't react well to shampoos with not so green ingredients in it? I love the smell most of these shampoos leave on my hair but my scalp gets itchy most of the times. T T

    ReplyDelete